Foundation stone for TB sanatorium at Puducherry was laid by Shri Jawaharlal Nehru,
Prime Minister of India on 4th October 1955.It was opened by Shri S.L.Silam, LT.Governor,
Puducherry on 5th Decmber 1963. Government Hospital for Chest Diseases is an Institution of State under the Ministry of Health
and Family Welfare, Government of Puducherry.Dr.N.Selvaradja was first Medical Superintendent of Government chest diseases Hospital.
He graduated in 1950 and proceeded to France for a post-graduation. After completing his post-graduation he returned
to Pondicherry he worked as Medical officer in General hospital Pondicherry. In view of his specialization he was
chosen to organize tuberculosis services. He became Medical Superintendent, TB Sanatorium in1963 and became Director
of Health and Family Welfare Services in 1971.
Each state of India will have its own designated Intermediate Reference Laboratory (IRL), for the purposes of
smear microscopy, laboratory QA activities within the respective state. The State TB Training and Demonstration Centres
(STDCs) are to be made functional to act as the Intermediate Reference Laboratory (IRLs) and it will be monitored by
the respective designated National Reference Laboratory (NRL) and will undergo accreditation for sputum microscopy,
Line probe Assay and mycobacterial culture and drug sensitivity testing on solid & liquid for first and second line
drugs by the National Reference Laboratory (NRL).
Life sketches of the first medical superintendent Dr.N. Selvaradja of Government chest diseases Hospital.
After getting his baccalaureate (French degree) he did his medical studies at Ecole de Medicine
(upgraded latter as JIPMER). He graduated in 1950 and proceeded to France for a post-graduation.
After completing down in Pondicherry.